Shanna Downing Photography
Senior Photoshoot Tips
Getting your senior photos is an exciting rite of passage which will reflect your authentic self to be seen and cherished by many. I have provided a few tips and tricks below to help prepare you for your senior photo session while keeping your experience MEMORABLE, STRESS FREE, and most importantly FUN!
We all look our best when we feel our best! So the first tip is SELF CARE! Be well-rested, well-fed, hydrated, and open minded while ready to have FUN!
My goal is to capture capture your authentic smile and body language as well as what makes you YOU in terms of hobbies, style, and interests. If you play an instrument, bring it. If you play sports bring a ball, varsity jacket, uniform, or whatever props seem appropriate for some photos! Is your vehicle an important part of you? Lets use it as a prop! Your horse? Perfect!
I want your photoshoot to celebrate YOU and your individualism. Remember we are working as a team to make your photos stand out from the mundane and to showcase YOU, therefore your shoot should be FUN while utilizing clothing, props, backgrounds, and poses that make sense for you.
Here are a few tips and tricks to consider before your shoot:
- Answer your client questionnaire questions I send you thoroughly and accurately so I can get a better idea of your personality, expectations and possible adversions.
- Bring your smile-friendly lip balm, lip gloss or lipstick you can reapply during your photoshoot.
- Bring water to stay hydrated.
- Bring more than you may think you need. Be prepared to change outfits throughout our time together. General rule of thumb is 2-5 outfits which reflect you and your style. I can help narrow down your choices.
- Steer clear of outfits that are too tight, too short, or too much of a fad.
- Feel free to bring a close family member or friend who will help fix your hair, change outfits, and help carry props or accessories.
- Avoid spray tans as they usually make you look orange.
- If you have inspirational photos or pictures of ideas you love, show me!
Most high school students have not had a professional photoshoot experience of their own. Although nerves may be hitting it does not take long to loosen right up and really have a FUN, great experience!
Most people stress they don’t know how to stand or what do to do with their hands. No need to stress, its my job to help you look your best while being authentically YOU! I will help guide and place you in each pose. Once you are in a pose I will likely take multiple shots while making small adjestments.
When should you get your Senior Photoshoot?
Its always a great idea to plan ahead and schedule in advance to assure you meet yearbook deadlines and get the ideal seasonal setting you desire. The summer going into your Senior year is ideal. FYI school yearbook deadlines are usually within the the first quarter of school in the fall. Please check with your school for deadlines and any rules for photo submissions. I hope these senior picture tips are helpful as I want your experience to be FUN and I want you to look back on this experience and smile. If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas please know I am open them and encourage you to reach out to me.